Funicular de Artxanda
Funicular de Artxanda S. A., is a Mercantile Society totally owned by his “Excellency the Municipality of Bilbao” being managed by the Board of Directors formed by the member of all the political party, that has their own representation, and having the General Meeting, the Plenum of the City Council.
The funicular connect to the Plaza del Funicular, alongside with the Paseo del Campo Volantín, with Artxanda Mountain.
As well as running the funicular railway service, the company also runs the La Salve lift (La Salve bridge), the Padre Arrupe footbridge lift beside Deusto University, the Plaza del Funicular lift, the Prim lifts (Santutxu quarter), the Betolaza Ring Road lift and the lift linking the Amétzola area with Calle Batalla de Padura.
It unite the Plaza Funicular, located at Castaños Street, parallel to Paseo del Campo Volantin with Mountain Artxanda. From where one can contemplate the whole wonderful panoramic view of the Ville of Bilbao and the mouth of River of Bilbao.
- La Salve: connect the upper part of bridge La Salve, from the two sidewalks, with Campo el Volantín, located at the opposite side of Guggenheim Musem, with the river in the middle.
- Pasarela del Padre Arrupe: it connect the upper part of the footbridge with Paseo de las Universidades, the other extreme of the footbridge it ends at the promenade of Guggenheim Museum.
- Plaza Funicular: connect the lower station of funicular with the connection of Euskotren (route Deusto-Zamudio) and the barrio of Matico.
- Prim: connect the barrio of Santutxu with Casco Viejo, thru the streets of Zabalbide and Prim.
Funicular de Artxanda works all labour days from 7:15 A. M. to 22:00 P.M.
- Betolaza: connects the Betolaza quarter with the Uretamendi district, at nº 13, Calle Circunvalación.
- Amétzola: installed together with a municipal residents’ car park lift, this lift joins the Avenida del Ferrocarril and Ametzola Park with the Irala quarter via Calle Batalla de Padura.
- Uretamendi: this lift is a continuance of the Betolaza lift, linking Calle Circunvalación with the Rekalde district via Calle León de Uruñuela.
- Plaza de la Convivencia: links this square with Calle Mazarredo, avoiding the architectural barriers of the major pedestrian path linking the Ensanche with the right bank of the Ría via the Zubi Zuri footbridge.
- The Zurbarambarri inclined lift connects the Zurbarambarri and Andramari districts to the Camino de Zurbaran.
- The Rekalde Lift, located beside the health care centre in Plaza de Rekalde, links this square to the Artazu Bekoa housing estate.
- The Mazarredo Lift, at the junction of Calle Mazarredo with Calle Heros, links this street to the Paseo de Abando Ibarra.
- Two lifts in Uríbarri, which except for two minor hills solve accessibility problems to Calle Travesía de Trauco.
- Lift in Calle Particular de Iturribide.
- Lift in Calle Tutulu.
On Sundays and bank holidays it runs from 8.15 a.m. to 10.00 pm. and later in the summer months (June, July, August and September), when it runs until 11.00 p.m.
The funicular departs every 15 minutes except at rush hour times, when trips are more frequent to clear the stations.