Date of birth
Durango, 14 February 1943
- Degree in Medicine and Surgery (1966, Salamanca)
- Doctorate 'cum laude' (1971, Salamanca)
- "Assistant Etranger' at Broussais Hospital, University of Paris (1971-1972)
- Specialist in Radiology and Cardiology.
- Professor of Physical Medicine and Radiology at the University of the Basque Country (since 1973).
- Associate Doctor at the Hospital de Cruces since 1973. Subsequently, Head of Department and since 1986, Head of Radiology Unit.
- In 1979, Chair of the Board of Hospitals of the Bizkaia Medical Association.
- In 1981, Director of the Hospital de Cruces.
- In June 1982, Director of Hospitals of the Basque Government.
- From 1983 to 1987, Director General of Osakidetza (Basque Health Service).
- From July 1989 to February 1991, Director-Secretary of the Presidency of the Basque Government.
- From February 1991 to May 1999, Health Minister of the Basque Government.
- From July 1999 to present, Mayor of Bilbao.
- President of Eurocities from 22 October 1999 to 27 October 2000.
- From June 2005 to June 2009, President of the International Association Cities and Ports.
- Awarded the Grand Cross of the Civil Order of Health by the Minister for Health and Consumer Affairs on 31 January 2000.
- Official of the Legion of Honour of the French Republic (January 2011)
Works and Publications
- Over 100 articles and communications in the speciality of Cardiovascular Radiology, in: Journal of the Spanish Society of Radiology; Journal of the Spanish Society of Cardiology; American Heart Journal; Archives des maladies du Coeur, etc.
- Author of the book Radioangiografía de las cardiopatías Congénitas (1988).
- Co-author of Tratado de Cardiología Pediátrica /Salvat, 1983).
- Spanish Society of Cardiology.
- French Society of Cardiology.
- Basque Association of Radiologists, etc.
- Basque Navarra Society of Cardiology.
- Member of ABAO, Bilbao Friends of the Opera Association.
- Friend of the Bilbao Museum of Fine Arts.
- Friend of the Bilbao Guggenheim Museum.
- Friend of the Arriaga Theatre.